- • 3 cups of cooked quinoa
- • 3 grated carrots
- • 1/3 cup of chopped almonds
- • 1/4 cup dried sultanas
- • ½ lemon juiced
- • 2-3 tbsp of cumin powder
- • 1 tbsp of coriander seeds (optional)
- • ½ pomegranate
- • 1 bunch of coriander and mint leaves
- • 1 tbsp of olive oil
- • 2 tsp of sea salt
Cook the quinoa in advance and leave to cool down;
Add the grated carrots, chopped almonds, sultanas, spices, olive oil and lemon juice to the quinoa and mix it all well together.
Top with the coriander and mint leaves, extra almonds and pomegranate seeds.
7 Benefits of Quinoa: The Supergrain of the Future [Mind Body Green] :
9 Pomegranate Health Benefits that Offer Powerful Disease Protection [Dr. Fuhrman] :
- Pomegranate has anti-inflammatory effects that may protect against cancer and other chronic diseases.
- Pomegranate has anti-angiogenic properties, meaning that they may help to prevent growing tumors from acquiring a blood supply, preventing those tumors from receiving the nutrients that would allow them to grow larger.
- Pomegranate is one of the few foods (mushrooms are another) that contain natural aromatase inhibitors. This means that they inhibit the production of estrogen, which can reduce breast cancer risk.
- After treatment for prostate cancer, two studies have shown that pomegranate juice or supplements slowed the increase in PSA.12
Protects Against Heart Disease
- Pomegranate phytochemicals reduce LDL oxidation (a contributor to atherosclerotic plaque development).
- Pomegranate phytochemicals have blood pressure-reducing properties.
- In a study of patients with severe carotid artery blockages, after one ounce of pomegranate juice daily for one year, there was a 30 percent reduction in atherosclerotic plaque. In striking contrast, in the participants who did not take the pomegranate juice atherosclerotic plaque increased by 9 percent.
Guards Memory and Brain Function
- Pomegranate supplements taken before and after surgery prevented the postoperative memory dysfunction associated with coronary artery bypass or heart valve surgery.
- In those with mild memory complaints, individuals drinking pomegranate juice daily performed better on a memory task compared to placebo and displayed increased brain activation measured by functional MRI.